Sunday, November 13, 2005

Three Months and Some Change

November 9th happened to be little Sammy's third month "birthday". We have been having so much fun watching her grow and get new habits:
  • Intermittent reaching for her toys: she is able to grab hold of the smaller toys - her rattle, her bunny blanket, her favorite doll Sprout:
  • Her hand (and sometimes just her thumb!) gravitates to her mouth much more smoothly - in fact, she has put her thumb in the hole of her binkie and will take it out of her mouth and then put it back in, but it has to be aligned just right.
  • Man, she has become SO vocal! She will start chattering to herself with a wide range of shrieks and coos - when she gets going we can't stop laughing. She will keep us entertained for about 15 minutes at a time, at which point she either starts actively fussing or she falls asleep. Hilarious!
  • I woke up to find her reaching out and scratching the mesh side of her co-sleeper - she has gotten enough control of her arm that she was able to keep brushing it and feeling the sensation of the mesh against her fingertips. I could tell it was intentional since she was watching her hand, enthralled.
  • And, the thing that truly keeps us going: the wide mouthed smile. Sam will sit for minutes at a time exchanging smiles with whomever is holding or interacting with her - it is such a wonderfully, enthusiastic, uninhibited look of joy. I have yet to get the perfect picture capturing it, but this one of Sammy and our friend Sue, is close:



I think (I hope) she is going to be a reader! Look how fascinated she is:

Perhaps fascinated is too mild a descriptor, shall we say obsessed?


It seems that she really enjoys the bigger books - if I try reading one of those tiny "Baby's first board book" type of book, she looks right past it, but stick a big book in her face and she is all over it. Especially this one:

I wonder why, Sam-I-am?

One last picture - yesterday, Janey, Joshua, Sammy and I went to our niece Ariel's baby shower. Can you believe it? Four babies in this family in the space of 6 months! Here is Sammy with her third Great Grandma:

3 Comments:

Blogger Middle America Mom said...

Yay! New pictures! Thanks so much for sharing them. Of course she's going to be a reader -- she has it in her genes.

4:29 PM  
Blogger jennavar said...

How expressive is that Sam-I-Am! I love the obsessed look while you are reading to her. I think I'd be giggling the whole time I'm reading knowing the intensity in her face. Too much! The look of pure joy is darling. Makes me want to smooch those cheeks!

9:15 PM  
Blogger CaliforniaGrammy said...

Those cheeks are oh-so-smoochable indeed! And you're right, middle america mom, she can't help but have those "good reader" genes. Great pictures - she's growing so fast!

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home