Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Betrayal

Alas, the age of the Dansko must come to an end. For years you have been on my feet day in and day out. I have run you ragged: soles worn, scuffed toes, the stitching on your leather uppers coming undone. Sure, I had twisted off of your heights in an embarrassing display of clumsiness more than once. But I still had my sights on a new pair, your replacement. Perhaps blue to match my jeans, or another black pair. (You can never have too many pairs of black shoes.)
But no.
You betrayed me. You, a snugli and a gravel road became my worst nightmare come true.
Luckily, from the depths of my subconscious, my body reacted faster than I knew it could. Sam was safe, with not even a bump or a bruise to show your betrayal. Thank God. If she had been hurt you would have rued the day you were handstitched. Since she is unscathed (no thanks to you) I will give you the burial you deserve:

3 Comments:

Blogger Middle America Mom said...

How could they betray you like that?!?! Thank goodness your mamma-bear instincts took over and Sam was unscathed.

I hate it when good shoes go bad!

4:46 PM  
Blogger CaliforniaGrammy said...

Yep! You did the right thing. Our little Sammy is lucky to have a mom as agile as you! Good bye dear Danskos . . . your days are over!

5:47 PM  
Blogger jennavar said...

To death with the Danskos!!! Hurray to my cuzzi the heroe who "from the depths of her subconscious reacted faster than she knew she could"!!!

Too much, I love your writing! I too have had those nightmares of falling with the baby. Now you know it happened and she is fine.

I must say that those shoes are mighty cute... What size are they? Hee hee

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home