Saturday, August 13, 2005

Tired, Happy Parents (sung to the tune by R.E.M.)

Wow!

What an exhilarating, thrilling experience these last few days have been. Ever since noon on Tuesday we have been flying high as we devote ourselves to watching, learning about and loving Samantha (not to mention laughing at her occasionally, too).

We were lucky to spend two full days in the hospital (by today's standards two days seems lucky!) where we holed up and were given great care by some wonderful nurses. And that self-imposed isolation has continued here at home. Everyday we learn something new. Things like how many expressions a little being can make (unintentionally!), how important it is to keep our patience with one another as we try to calm Sam, how huge the heart can expand to include a new person so absolutely, how incredibly small and perfect a pinkie fingernail can be.

We had our first pediatrician's appt today. Last night Samantha was yellow and limp as a little wet noodle - the symptoms of the typical third-fourth day jaundice. But after a couple of thirty-minute meals, she quickly gained her energy back in the middle of the night. And today at the appointment she was given a clean bill of health. And a shot in the thigh for HepB.

Slowly we are getting our routines down. I was able to take a shower today! I entered a store for the first time in a week.


So...about the delivery. Please read on at your own risk - I tried to make an abbreviated post without all of the graphic details, but was unable to. So, be prepared. Don't say I didn't warn you.

I started early labor in the evening on Saturday, August 6th. I had been told that the threat of induction brings on labor, and they were right! Of course we started timing the contractions right away and called in when they appeared more regular. I was told to go to sleep if I could and to call back if they intensified to the point where I couldn't sleep through them. At four in the morning we called in and went to the hospital. My dad drove us, and my mom accompanied David and me in triage. After an exam it turned out I was only at 1 cm dilation and 80% effacement, so they had us walk around for an hour and a half to see if I would progress further, but to no avail. So, back home we went.

Sunday was long and painful. Sunday night (well, 2 am Monday morning) David and I went back to triage (sans parents this time... we felt we could deal with the disappointment of being sent home again better just the two of us) and found out that I had progressed to...2 cm. This time I accepted the morphine shot they offered me so that I could get SOME sleep.

Which I did, but so did my contractions - nothing for the first half of the day. Talk about disappointing! Especially since I was still in a world of pain in my back. I called in to find out what was going on and the nurse thought that I was describing the symptoms of a baby that was head down but turned the wrong way (Occiput Posterior, "Sunny Side Up"). Man! David and I had worked pretty hard at devising strategies for helping me relax through contractions (we were doing hypnobirthing), but nothing had prepared me for the non-stop pain of this OP positioning. Which, I might add, has a tendency of causing prolonged labor. Lovely.

That afternoon my contractions came back. After three or four hours of 1.5-minute contractions ranging from 3 to 13 minutes apart, we decided to "average" the timing of the contractions so that we could call in (the hospital wants to see them at every 4 minutes, lasting a minute for a full hour - 4-1-1). My mom, David and I went back to the hospital at 8pm Monday August 8th. This time I had finally gotten to 4 cm so I was able to be admitted. We "graduated" David said.

My first stop was the jacuzzi tub in our birthing suite to get some relief. Our doctor came in and we went over our birth plan with her. We wanted to deliver as naturally as possible. Like I said, we had done some hypnobirthing practice, and I had practiced relaxation techniques in my yoga classes, and I was extremely interested in being able to change my positions during labor (squatting instead of pushing on my back, etc).

An hour later I was at 5 cm. Contractions were still intensifying and the next few hours were a blur as I slowly made my way to 6 cm, then to 7 cm. I would NEVER have been able to get through this without the fantastic support I recieved from David, my mom and our very own wonderful nurse, Theresa. With every contraction they were a fine-tuned machine as I breathed "In-2-3-4 Out 2-3-4-5-6-7-8" and shouted out commands according to what I needed for that particular contraction. More hours passed (I think I had been going for 8 or 9 hours at this point - not to mention those couple of days prior). I was ready for my next exam. I had gone back down to 6 cm.

Devastation. Apparently, with every contraction I was also pushing, and due to Sam's position (and size!) it was causing my cervix to swell. Swell shut, actually.

It was at this point that I asked about medication.

From this moment on, our birth plan flew out the window, and you know... if I had to do it all over again I would make the same choices.

I got an epidural, and pitocin (to keep the contractions going). Then a catheter. Then an internal uterine monitor. Then an oxygen mask because the baby was decelling (the heart rate was dropping). Then an internal heartrate monitor for the baby. I was told that I had all of the gadgets that Hotel Swedish had to offer.

I was now getting that overwhelming urge to push, but I had to wait for the new doctor (shift change) to finish with another delivery before I could get the go ahead. The nurse thought I was completely dilated, but needed the confirmation. She came in and told me that I could go ahead and push. I begged to be allowed to squat but was told that my legs would buckle under me. So I told them that at the very least I was going to go on my side, which I did.

It was apparent that Sam's head was going to be big, and we were told that the only chance of delivering vaginally was to use a vacuum extractor (think plunger - in fact, you can see the bruise left by this process on the picture with Theresa). Sheesh. This meant a trip to the bright lights of the OR delivery room. Surreal. The stretcher ride, seeing my dad walking down the hall as he realized it was his daughter that was being wheeled by, the three big movie camera type lights, the looming face of the anethesialogist, the noise of all the staff in the room, my mom and David having to get into sterile scrubs, my legs being put into wierd furry leg warmer things and then into stirrups, the shouting "push, push" as I couldn't help but to push. And in a matter of minutes, Samantha was born and placed on my belly. Wow.


I really could not process it - here she was, and yet I couldn't get that this was our daughter. David, on the other hand had no problems realizing this, as I looked at him and he was wonderfully happily emotional.

We were wheeled back into our birthing suite and Samantha took to breastfeeding like a fish to water. I am so thankful (though lately, every day has presented it's challenges!).

Anyway. There you have it. The saga of Samantha's odyssey. Chapter One.

Thank you all for you well wishes and congratulations. It is so much fun reading your emails and comments. Please leave comments if you can - we love to see who's been watching.

11 Comments:

Blogger jennavar said...

Okay, I have the R.E.M. tune in my head as I type...Absolutely amazing! You're right, it is incredibly miraculous how they are so perfect in every way all the way down to their little fingernail. All of the facial expressions, squeeks they make and other bodily sounds that can be quite impressive as well..hee hee.

It sounds like you had all of the equipment you needed at the hospital once you were able to get there. Way to go trying to do it naturally..you went a lot farther than I was ever able to (well..actually I requested the epidural a.s.a.p. with all three, it was just with K. [who was also sunny-side up]that I experienced 1 1/2 hours of @#$ waiting for the anesthesiolgist to get there).

It is such a surreal feeling having the baby be presented to you for the first time. So many hours, days, months wondering what they would look like..what the experience would be like etc. And then once it is time for the delivery..there is no stopping it. The nurses and doctors are acting like this is everyday normality and you're thinking..what is going on?? I remember looking at K. for the first time and initially having a completely unattached feeling of "that came out of me??" And then when the love pours in watch out. Absolutely amazing!

I'm sure these days are feeling like "fuzzy blurs" to you. I remember eating breakfast at 11:00, lunch at 2:00 or 3:00 and dinner whenever (Kit Kats during the middle of the night feedings.. :)

Thank you for the detailed update. I LOVE the details and pictures. So do share whenever you get a minute. She is soo beautiful and I'm so thrilled to hear that everyone is safe and sound and comfy at home

10:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved reading the details - thanks for posting them! Way to go for trying natural, but also way to go for being flexible and doing what you needed to do. And a HUGE HURRAH for feeling good about it! Every labor and delivery is different, and you need to make the best decisions for you and the baby as you go.

There are so many changes when you bring a new baby home - and it sounds like you guys are navigating them well!

Thanks for the pictures!!
Judy

6:45 AM  
Blogger Middle America Mom said...

I'm so happy you gave us the details..and so impressed that you've 1)taken a shower, 2)been in a store, and 3)been on the computer long enough to write this. You are awesome! M and I had a very detailed birthing plan, which was quickly thrown out the window. You beat me on the gadgets -- I never had the suction thingy because my kids were never so big. (I grow 'em about seven pounds, which I am quite grateful for!)

Hang in there on the next few weeks and relish in the discovery of your new little human :>

8:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like the first comment - I also had that unattached feeling with my first baby. My husband was sobbing uncontrollably and I wasn't - I just wanted to lay back down and rest. Looking back, it is kind of unlike me, because I am an emotional creature, but that's simply what I felt at the time.

It's so easy to get irritated - it helped me to realize that there's no way that the other person is doing this wrong on purpose, because what would their gain be? They're just doing what they think will help. Greg used to stomp around the house with Josh in his arms. I'm not kidding. I used to get so mad at him. He insisted that it calmed him down. While making me absolutely nuts.

Hey, send David out for some Lansinoh for your tired sore nipples. Or look in your bag, they may have given you a sample at the hospital in a bag of coupons? Do they still do that?

Love to little Sam and the tired parents,

~~Laurie

8:35 AM  
Blogger CaliforniaGrammy said...

With tears of absolute joy I've read and re-read your detailed description of Sam's coming into the world. You are such a good writer . . . keep these blogs forever! I was sleeping in this morning when your Uncle Ken came in after making the coffee and said . . . Steph's blog is so worth getting up for! Well, he was right!

Thanks you two, for just being you. You really hung in there and brought us a new sweet and precious little girl to share our love with. Can't wait to see her perfect little fingernail!

8:55 AM  
Blogger CaliforniaGrammy said...

Okay . . . I've had my coffee and, since it's Sunday, a wonderful breakfast (Ken cooks on Sunday mornings) and I've been thinking about your blog and the title . . . how does the "tune by R.E.M." go? Now maybe I'm the most senior blogger on this site so far . . . if you had said to the tune of "Mary Had a Little Lamb" or "If I Had a Hammer" or "Blowin' in the Wind" . . . I would be able to sing it!

9:44 AM  
Blogger McDood said...

Thank you, everybody! I'm getting a little verklempt reading all of your comments! Judy... how special is it that you check in from the road??? My god! All of you, seriously, thank you.

We just woke up (well, you moms should know... we woke up 1 feeding, three diapers and 45 minutes of quiet-active playtime ago--will there ever be a way to convert this to conventional time?) and checked our email and blog first thing. This is such a magic time... and all the thoughts and well-wishes from you all are adding a great deal to the magic.

We just asked grandpa to put his 100+ digital pictures on a CD for us, so we'll update "Tired Happy Parents" with images from grandpa's perspective.

Talk to you all soon!

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HiThere!
What a wonderful blow by blow view of what you had to go through. Time softens these experiences & the pain! (That's why I had 3 more!) What a wonderful adventure you are on now! Discovery, training (yours & hers), excitement, disappointment, days (& nights) of joy--all yours now as you continue your life as new mama & papa.

She really is a beautiful baby. I can't wait to see her. I am so thankful for the computer & digital technology to be able to share more and more often. When I had my first, it was a long time between my brownie camera & the development of the pictures! And then to mail them.......
I love you all. Auntie Patti

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow guys - I just found out that if you click on the pictures, they get bigger! That is just one cute baby. And to see the tears in David's eyes is just precious.

~~Laurie

9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats again, Stephanie & David, and welcome the lovely Samantha! The birth story is quite impressive, but equally so is the fact that you've had time to write about it . . . I am impressed. A new mom and an author :) Also, I've heard (but don't know for certain) that sunshine cures the jaundice thing.

Anyway, I'm wishing you all the very best on this newest adventure . . . celebrate & enjoy!

ciao bella!

brenda b.

8:44 PM  
Blogger CMT said...

Wow! I, too, would've let the "plan" fly out the window--good work! She's perfect :)

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home