Thursday, July 14, 2005

A few things about pregnancy.

You know - I had misperceptions about how pregnancy would be. I think most people feel that way. I'm just glad I was wrong about most of them!

Please don't throw tomatoes at me, but I feel the need to count my blessings. I have had a fairly simple pregnancy. No morning sickness to speak of; no fatigue; everyone's concerns that I would have a miserably hot pregnancy have been unfounded (we have had a surprisingly cool summer so far!); and sadly no strange food cravings (I was looking forward to those for some demented reason). All in all, I count myself very lucky.

On the other hand, I did "contract" gestational diabetes, so I have gotten to poke my finger four times a day; I have to watch my carb intake; I get to pee on a stick every morning. And there is the concern that I will have a "big baby". Or, more specifically, one that won't quite fit. So, I'll continue watching my carb intake (and try to limit the number of times I indulge at the Cold Stone Creamery!)

But the four things that I have found most surprising about pregnancy are:
  1. The need to pee. I guess it is not so much the need to pee but the frequency of said need. I used to be a camel. Getting up four times during the night has been quite a change. But, it seems that is slowing down now due to...
  2. Water retention. Did you know that when you retain water, if you press on your leg you can see your finger imprint? We found this out at a Massage for Labor class we took. David found this highly amusing.
  3. Skin tags. What the heck?! I will be visiting a dermatologist after things settle down. Enough said.
  4. The club. Truly, I had no idea. There is a club out there. Next time you see a pregnant woman, don't watch her, watch everyone react to her. You will see people smile as she walks by (and I don't think it is due to the waddle). Especially people carrying babies, or walking their toddlers. Oh! And other pregnant women! It's not exactly a secret handshake, but there is definitely a knowing look: a "you're one of us" or "I know what you are going through" or "you'll make it" kind of look. And those are just the people that keep their distance!

Being pregnant puts you in the public domain. Some people get bugged by this, but I just find it interesting. The questions ("the end of July", "it's a girl", "yep, Samantha", "yes, it's my first") come from everyone: I mean, who would've thought the teenage boy at the gas station would give a rip?!

This has been a wild ride. I have enjoyed it. I have a couple of weeks to continue enjoying it and then it'll be onto the next phase. I just hope the next step goes as smoothly!!

6 Comments:

Blogger SeattleS said...

David Comments:

I had a dream this morning that while feeling Steph's belly I could feel every part of Samantha vividly, starting with the heel of her foot, her knee, tush, shoulders, and even her head (which has actually disappeared into Steph's pelvis at this point). Then the most amazing thing: we could see Samantha's head poking out of the birth canal, and could count the hairs on her head! How amazing, we thought. Of course, we called our OBGYN to discuss this extraordinary development. Believe it or not, we still weren't in labor! What does this dream mean? Anyone?

9:03 AM  
Blogger CaliforniaGrammy said...

It's just a dream, David - nothing else!

Loved reading about how easy this pregnancy has been for you - and I'm glad you appreciate the blessing you've been given! But I'm sorry about the gestational diabetes - seems that your midwestern cousing contracted that one too! But neither of her babies were 'big' so not to worry. With your track record you'll be blessed with the 'perfect-sized' Samantha Clare! What a beautiful patio in the picture where the proud grandparents have joined you - who's patio is it? Don't remember it in either of your back yards! I got a kick out of your descriptions of the most surprising things of pregnance . . . especially skin tags! What's up with that? I never put "them" together with pregnance but now that I think back it HAS been that long since I discovered my "first!"

9:35 AM  
Blogger SeattleS said...

That's the grandparents' patio. It's actually been improved further since the photo was taken. Contact Ron & Sandy for more details! David

12:12 PM  
Blogger Middle America Mom said...

Ohhh, Steph. I didn't know you had GD! Bummer. I actually didn't have it, but I had to prick myself five times a day for two months to prove that I didn't. I was stubborn and didn't want to take that three hour test again - I had already taken it with Baby #1 and I felt sooo crappy for a couple of days. Since hubby has diabetes and pricks himself 5+ times a day, I figured that I could put myself in his shoes for a bit. It wasn't fun....Cold Stone Creamery -- Yummers! (but bad for GD!)

I also never put skin tags with pregnancies, but I think you're right...and the ones on my eyelids -- ewwww!

1:46 PM  
Blogger SeattleS said...

Isn't that patio gorgeous? That is my parents' - it is very comfie!

Yeah - GD has been no fun, but it has taught me quite a bit. Here I thought I was being so healthy drinking tons of milk and fruit juices. Ha! I have been able to keep my blood sugar levels within range just by watching my diet, so it has been ok.

I would never have put skin tags with pregnancy either until I had a reaction to some lotion and when I got it checked out, I complained to the dermatologist about the skin tags and she said - "yep! It happens to all of my pregnant patients, wait until pregnancy is over before doing anything about them". So there you have it! Crazy.

3:45 PM  
Blogger jennavar said...

That is so funny that you have dreams too David. I remember all sorts of strange dreams when I was pregnant. One that occurred frequently was that I was able to take the baby out, play with it and then I had to put it back in because it wasn't ready to be born yet. As I'm typing this it really sounds ewwww... but the dream was very normal feeling. Just getting really anxious. Like that song ...anticipation..anticipaaaaation....

Stephanie..another pregnancy club observation..how many people have touched your belly?? That was amazing to me that complete strangers would proceed into my "space bubble" and touch my stomach. The worst comment I had was someone who told me "just looking at you makes me want to stay on birth control..." real nice!

I'm sorry about having to poke yourself during the day. I can't stand needles but I have to say that not having morning sickness or any of the other concerns is not too bad of a trade off.

I was pregnant with C.D. when I was toilet training J.D. and had morning sickness a lot. When I told J.D. that it was time to try and go potty, he stuck his head in the toilet and made a horrible sound. I had morning sickness so bad, I confused the poor child during potty training.

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home