Saturday, August 20, 2005

How to find time?!?

What a week this has been! I had heard that there is a kind of 'time-warp' thing that happens during delivery - where three hours go by in a matter of minutes (thank goodness!), but I had no idea that that time warp continued after delivery! We'll wake up around 8am and begin our day feeding Sam, a few 'cycles' later, next thing I know it is 4:30 pm! Where does the day go? I really don't have lofty goals these days; if I can pay the bills on one day and return a phone call on the second day I think I am doing pretty well!

We have had a wonderfully enjoyable time having vistors and going on outings this last week: my brother and his wife came up last Friday (the jaundice day) and it was so good to see them!

Notice the limp noodle pose!

One day we took Samantha to visit her two great grandma's. Talk about a star! My grandmas live in the same retirement center so it is easy to visit both, and as we walked from one area to the next we attracted quite the following. A silent but far-reaching cry of "baby on the floor!" went out to all residents, and as we turned to go around a corner we were met with dozens of people who had come to see the baby. It was a very touching sight - as one woman said " It has been decades since I have seen a 6 day old baby!" But I don't think anyone was as "tickled-pink" as my grandma R:


The next day we took Samantha to meet my chiropractor - which isn't as strange as it sounds. His wife is the receptionist and she became pregnant 12 weeks before me, so for the last few months we have been exchanging pregnancy and then delivery tales. I must say though, we had FAR different delivery stories: she did a home delivery in a tub! Wow. I can't even imagine that.

The next day we dolled up Samantha in her very first knit-by-Stephanie piece of clothing and took her to meet David's client. Here she is in her handknit sweater:


Looking back at this week, I guess we have done a lot: I haven't even mentioned Bryan and Tara's visit, or Judy's, or Lara's, or her Uncle Bob's, or Deane and Erikas's visit or the hearing test and blood draw she had to get at the hospital, or our first restaurant experience or our first life-passed-by-before-our-eyes experience...but I think I'll let David tell you all about that!

Here's Sam being fed by her "Aunt" Lara!:

6 Comments:

Blogger Middle America Mom said...

Ohmygosh, Steph. You've done so much this past week! The time warp thing is so bizarre, isn't it? I remember M doing laundry at 3AM one night because we were up for a feeding and it didn't seem strange at all...3pm or 3am what did it matter? We were up every two hours anyway! (That's before he realized that he didn't have to be up for the night feedings!) You are amazing...and it's so nice to see the picture of you, the babe, and Gramma R :> Also, what a great sweater you knitted -- I've always wanted to learn how to knit. That might be a goal of mine this winter.

12:56 PM  
Blogger CaliforniaGrammy said...

Whoa what a week! My gosh you've been very busy entertaining guests AND outings. That little Samantha just seems like she takes everything in stride too! Love the picture of Gramma R - the way you and Samantha are looking at Gramma - great picture you will treasure as the years go by! Cute little sweater you knitted too . . . oh, I just can't wait to see you all! We'll be up on the 16th to the 20th of September in case you haven't gotten the word!

1:28 PM  
Blogger McDood said...

Thank you, Steph... I knew you were working on a post, and it was nice to see your finished work!

3:05 PM  
Blogger jennavar said...

Yahoo! I'm so glad to see an update! I absolutely love reading them. She is soooo adorable. And the picture of you, Grandma R. and Sam is priceless. I'm especially impressed at the knitted sweater. You go cuzzie! And that other picture of the "man" holding baby Sam isn't my other cousin is it? Geez louise time goes by!

4:36 PM  
Blogger SeattleS said...

Yep! Can you believe it? That's Tony! All 6 foot something of him!
The knitting has been fun - I was really into it during the fall and winter, but when we went to Italy in March I fell off the knitting wagon. Here I thought I would knit up a storm while we were driving around the Tuscan mountainside, but it turns out I got car-sick! Ah well - I hope I'll pick it up again soon.
:-)
Aunt J - I can't wait to see you either!!

5:13 PM  
Blogger CaliforniaGrammy said...

I was thinking about your blog while I sweated it out in the tiny kitchen of the trailer "putting up" dozens of plum jam . . . lots of time to think while one is waiting for the hot bath part of the job . . . and your theme of How to Find Time got me to thinking of not only how fast time flies by in a day but in my every day life . . . like, oh-my-gosh I have a kid in her forties who was Samantha's age and sometimes it seems like it was just yesterday - and now she has two kids of her own . . . it it only seems like yesterday when I think about the adorable picture of you your dad sent from Germany - the one in the entry way at there house with your eyes as big as bullets . . . and it only seems like yesterday when daughter number two took MayDay baskets around the neighborhood when she was about four . . . Yes, time - in many ways - does fly by - so let's just cherish every moment of it! Okay . . . I got that one off my chest!

9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home