Sunday, March 02, 2008

Little Miss Sammy

California Grammy and I are on the same page again! I have had "Blog" on my Getting Things Done list for awhile now. So here I am :-)

Sammy is taking a nap, David is having a meeting with some of the co-op parents, and I am blogging while watching Project Runway. David has been extremely busy with his responsibilities with Sammy's pre-school co-op. Unfortunately, our pre-school is getting kicked out of our space at the end of the year, so there is lots of work to do.
February has been an interesting month. It is hard to believe that back in the day we used to worry that Sam was going to be a pushover: she would stand back and watch as someone took her toy away; she would so quickly comply with our discipline (I remember putting her in time out and she would put her hands up on the wall!). It is apparent that we worried needlessly. She has no qualms with telling us exactly what is on her mind lately - and it is usually 180 degrees opposite of what we need her to do. ("Sammy, please go get your shoes so we can leave" will provoke "No, I don't want to go" and "Sammy, the sky is blue" will provoke "No, it is green", etc.)
She may be looking a bit cowed in this picture, but this is a picture of The Yes/No game. It consists of these two standing on a log and one of them (truth be told, it is usually Sammy) will start "No!", the other one will shout "Yes!" and repeat, ad infinitum.

Though I don't get to spend much time at the pre-school, I get the sense that Sammy loves it.

The last few years, David and I have gone on an executive retreat where we get our taxes done, our budgetting, and our filing pared down. It has been so beneficial. Last years retreat was our least productive, so this year we asked Grandma Helen and Grandpa Yak (Sammy's way of saying Jack) if Sam could stay with them for a weekend. I think everyone had a wonderful time. Sammy and Grandpa went down to the beach every day and made sandcastles and buried her feet, Grandma got to show Sam off at church, and David and I went to a cottage on the Oregon Coast, buckled down and got busy. It felt really good. Here we are taking a break:

We had a decent morning today - the sun poked out from the clouds for a bit so we got to work in our backyard: here is Sammy with a little worm.

And just so you can see here cute little Mariner's outfit here is another picture:

When Sammy isn't saying "NO!", she is keeping us entertained with her recitation of about a dozen different nursery rhymes: Baa Baa Black Sheep (her favorite), ABC's, Ride a White Horse, Yankee Doodle, Rock-a-Bye Baby, It's Raining It's Pouring, Rain Rain Go Away, Old King Cole, Jack and Jill, Humpty Dumpty, and (my favorite) Finkle Finkle Little Star. She really is a lot of fun!

3 Comments:

Blogger CaliforniaGrammy said...

Oh what a great post. And oh my, is Sammy ever a typical two-year-old, with her "no"-"yes" game, her wanting to do the total opposite of what you request of her. And I just can't wait for her to recite the nursery rhymes to me this summer. I'm glad you and David got a retreat sans kid. Every married couple should be able to do that at least once, but better if twice a year. Good for you. We use to do that and it seems, if I remember right, we appreciate each other and the kids even more after we got back. Thanks for the great blog and pictures.

8:19 PM  
Blogger jennavar said...

Man oh man...she is soooo stinkin' cute! Honest to goodness cute! Oh boy do I remember the good ole' "two's". It actually started at about 19 months with Miss K. She would point her little finger at us and tell us what she thought about our requests! I love the little faces Sammy makes. Very expressive. I can't wait to see you all again. Great post!

3:19 PM  
Blogger CaliforniaGrammy said...

Upon re-reading your post, it brought a fun memory I have with my first grandchild . . . my only granddaughter, as you know. She and I would have this game of "opposites" as you spoke of. I would be carrying her to the car as they would be getting ready to leave. We'd look up at the moon and I'd say "Look at the moon!" and she would come back with "No, it's the sun!" And we would go back and forth "The moon" "No, the sun" and we'd be giggling the whole time! The makings of sweet memories.

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home